Find an Agent to Get a Quote
What to Do If You’re Involved
in an Auto Accident
What to Do in the Event of a Loss
- Stop your vehicle and move it to a safe location. The law requires you to stop at the accident scene.
- Check all parties for injuries and call for medical assistance if needed.
- Call the police. The police will advise you if their response to the scene is not necessary.
- Do not admit fault to anyone, as there could be multiple factors contributing to an accident. Give factual details of your recollection of the accident, and cooperate with the police in providing answers to their questions.
- Exchange information with the other parties involved in the accident. Names, addresses, telephone numbers, type and ownership of vehicles, insurance information and description of damages are important information to obtain.
- Try to identify any witnesses. Obtain their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
- If your vehicle needs to be towed, request that it be taken to a repair shop of your choice.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene prior to the involved vehicles being moved.
- As soon as possible, contact your agent to report the accident.