Find an Agent to Get a Quote
Ways to Save Money When Buying Homeowners Insurance
Insurance Buying Tips
- Be sure to list updates to your property, such as electrical, heating, roofing and plumbing. Then take this list to your agent's office. This information may qualify you for preferred — that is, less expensive — coverage.
- Installing safety devices such as smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, dead-bolt locks, burglar alarms, etc. will often qualify you for a safety discount. Be sure to mention these items to your agent when you request a quote.
- You can often qualify for a discount/credit if your property is close to a fire department or fire hydrant.
- You may quality for a discount if your home is less than 10 years old.
- To lower your premium payments, consider a higher deductible if you can afford to pay more out of your own pocket in the case of a loss.
- Ask about renewal discounts, which encourage you to continue your policy with the same company.
- Place your homeowners and automobile policies with the same insurance company, and you’ll often qualify for a multiple policy or account credit discount.